version 3.1 alpha to test for Firefox 13!
Boox is an extension for the Firefox browser (version 1.5 to 10), which adds enhanced functionalities to the Bookmarks, in the Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks Menu (Boox > 2.5), and the Sidebar (, , , ).
Unobstrusive and integrated, but really powerfull !
Styled (bold) Live Bookmarks who have new entries
Number of unread entries displayed for live bookmarks.
Rich and customizable tooltips on bookmarks
(name, location, keywords, description, last visited,...)
Feed summary displaying for live bookmarks entries in tooltips
Feed viewer, you can click the live bookmarks, they are
displayed like a web page, with several possible stylesheets. You can
use your own personal stylesheet. Enclosures of podcasts are listed.
Create new live bookmark from the contextual menu in the
Locate search result in the bookmarks sidebar.
- Export of an individual bookmarks folder with one click (since Boox 2.6 only).
Advanced search in bookmarks, search in name,
keywords or description (Boox 1.x only).
Boox can use its own history to store and style the visited feed entries, so it's possible to set a duration different than the navigation history.
The styled feedviewer is used for all met feeds during the navigation.
English (en-US), czech (cs-CZ), danish (da-DK), dutch (nl-NL), french (fr-FR), italian (it-IT), german (de-DE), hebrew (he-IL), korean (ko-KR), polish (pl-PL), portuguese (pt-BR), spanish (es-ES), romanian (ro-RO), russian (ru-RU), turkish (tr-TR), chinese (simplified)(zw-CN), chinese (traditional)(zw-TW), swedish (sv-SE).
A big thanks to all the Babelzilla.org team.
(Any translation proposition is welcome)
I recommend to you 3 other extensions that I use, they add complementary functionalities to Boox, very interesting:
- Reliby, , add a button to reload all Live Bookmarks immediately.
- Stay Open Menu, keep the Bookmarks popups open when middle-clicking. Really useful on Feeds.
- For users of Boox 1.x on Firefox 2.x, Locate, because I was going to implement the same functionality when I found this one ;) . Locates a bookmark in the Sidebar after a research. (This functionality is implemented by Boox 2 in the bookmarks sidebar for the Firefox 3 users)
version 3.1 alpha 2 for Firefox 13, in progress, see this post.
alpha version, for Firefox 13:
warning, this version is a one, i.e. a test version !
version, for Firefox 4 to 12:
version, for Firefox 3.6 :
version for Firefox 3.5 :
This version allow you to import personal stylesheets in the feed viewer.date : 2009-07-30
version for Firefox 3 :
This version allow you to import personal stylesheets in the feed viewer.date : 2008-09-11
version for Firefox 2 :
This version allow you to import personal stylesheets in the feed viewer.date : 30.12.2007
old version for Firefox 1.5 :
- Firefox 4 compatibility  and 5 [/edit].
- Swedish localization (sv-SE).
2.5 -> 2.6 :
- Firefox 3.6 compatibility.
- Items added by Boox in the menu for Feeds sometimes appeared in random order in the personal bar. Corrected.
- Possibility to export an individual bookmarks folder.
- Support for the extension Stay Open Menu, if present.
2.0 -> 2.5 :
- Firefox 3.5 compatibility.
- Boox features are now available in the Bookmarks Menu, in addition of the Bookmarks Toolbar and Sidebar (rich tooltips and styled live bookmarks).
- Possibility to open all unread items of a feed.
- Possibility to truncate long Bookmark URL in the tooltips.
- The actions added by Boox for a feed on its contextual menu are again directly available in its popup.
- The Boox Options window can now be closed with the keyboard shortcut CTRL+w (same behavior as "cancel").
18.104.22.168 -> 2.0 :
- Full rewriting for Firefox 3.
- Ability to display the number of unread entries of a live bookmark. Possibilité d'indiquer le nombre d'entrées non lues pour un marque-page dynamique.
- Implement Locate of search in the bookmarks sidebar.
- Hebrew localization.
22.214.171.124 -> 126.96.36.199 :
- The enclosures of podcasts are now listed as links in the Feed Viewer (Atom 1 and RSS 2).
- Nicer UI for the Options window.
- Chinese (simplified) and Portuguese localizations added.
188.8.131.52 -> 184.108.40.206 :
- czech localization.
- small correction in the feed viewer (support of dc:rights in items).
220.127.116.11 -> 18.104.22.168 :
- correct a memory leak in the sidebar when styles are disabled.
22.214.171.124 -> 126.96.36.199 :
- minor update to follow FeedProcessor evolution.
- add zh-TW localization.
188.8.131.52 -> 184.108.40.206 :
- The Feed Reader was broken with some compilation of Firefox, like the ubuntu one.
0.6.0.0 -> 220.127.116.11 :
- The Bookmarks Toolbar can now have the same Boox functionalities than the Bookmarks Sidebar (styled Live Bookmarks, customizable tooltips, summary of feed entries inclued, and opening of the feeds in the viewer.
- Boox use now its own history, rather than the native one of Firefox, to store feed entries that are marked as read.
- The Boox Feed Viewer is now based on the Firefox native one, so all feeds can be styled during navigation.
- It's now possible to import a personal stylesheet for the Feed Viewer.
0.6.0.0 -> 0.6.0.1 :
- Romanian localization
0.4.2.0 -> 0.6.0.0 :
- Firefox 2 compatibility
- Polish localization
0.4.1.0 -> 0.4.2.0 :
- a memory leak corrected
0.4.0.4 -> 0.4.1.0 :
- for some Atom 1 feeds the entries were not displayed in the tooltips
- for some Atom 1 feeds the title was wrong displayed in the feed reader
- turkish localization
0.4.0.0 -> 0.4.0.4 :
- new languages
0.2 -> 0.4 :
- Live bookmarks are now styled (bold if they have new entries)
- Feeds served as application/rss+xml can now be converted into application/xml (otherwise Firefox wants to download them)
- wrong served feeds (text or html) can now be displayed in the viewer.
- corrected bugs
Planned for the version 2.1:
Reimplement functions like "mark as read" in the menu of a live bookmark.
Customizable tooltips in the Bookmarks Menu.
Emphazing (bold) the names of feeds having new entries since the last visit
Possibility to use a personal stylesheet in the feed viewer
- Possibility to open feeds in a new window
- Open feeds too when opening all bookmarks of a folder